Chicken Cordon Bleu is devine, but can be really unhealthy as it is often deep-fried. This version is baked in a multi-grain/whole wheat flour coating, which results in the chicken being moist and filled with cheesy-ham goodness. Plus, this dish is surprisingly easy to make, but looks fabulous and labor intensive when you serve it to company.
Actually, this chicken recipe was what gave me the inspiration and go-ahead to start sharing recipes on my blog. We had friends from out of town over and I served them this dinner and they right away insisted that I post this delicious chicken cordon bleu. It looks lovely and can be served with a complement of various sides. Here, I choose roasted potatoes, asparagus and corn-on-the-cob. Have I mentioned how much my kids just love corn-on-the-cob season? Did I also mention that my kids love this chicken even though it has more than one ingredient visible?!
This is not one of my original recipes. It is from the cookbook that I have already featured many times called, The Looneyspoons Collection: Good Food, Good Health, Good Fun! This recipe is a copy-cat recipe which can be found in the cookbook under the recipe, Chicken Codon New. I just can’t rave enough about this cookbook which my sister gave me one Christmas. The ladies at Looneyspoons have “cooked-up” a great assortment of recipes (plus they are Canadian, so I love supporting them). I haven’t make many changes to the original recipe, except for using a different mustard and throwing a rosemary-thyme combination in the crust.
Prepping the Chicken
The first couple of steps of the chicken is the most time consuming, but once you have your system set-up, coating and browning the chicken doesn’t take too long.
- First lay the chicken between plastic wrap and pound till flat. Curl the chicken up with the cheese and ham. Using a skewer to keep folded.
- Dip the folded chicken in the separate coating.
- First the flour/salt
- Then, the mustard/egg
- Finally, the cracker/cheese/thyme/rosemary
- Before baking, brown the chicken with a bit of butter in a frying pan.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup crushed multi-grain crackers
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thick slices smoked ham
- 4 slices Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- In three separate bowls, combine flour, salt and pepper in one; whisk egg and mustard in another; and crackers, cheese, thyme, and rosemary in another.
- Pound chicken flat between plastic wrap; wrap ham and cheese inside and secure with metal or wood skewer.
- Dip wrapped chicken in flour mixture, then egg mixture, and then cracker mixture.
- Melt butter in frying pan, then brown chicken frying pan. 2 min on each side and transfer to baking dish.
- Bake chicken for 30 minutes or juices run clear.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Chicken Cordon Bleu!