We have a lemon tree in the backyard (not meyer lemons) and last year I put the lemons to good use in my baking and cooking. Our lemons are taking a little longer to ripen this year, so when I saw some meyer lemons at the store, I snatched them up. Meyer lemons are smaller, sweeter and less acidic than their counterparts. For a comparison, the Meyer lemon is on the left in the picture below.
I decided to make this Meyer lemon chia seed loaf with my littlest this morning to take to my women’s bible study group that meets on Wednesdays. Little do they know, they have been my guinea pigs for the past few years. I try out various recipes and bring them to the group so that I don’t personally splurge on all the extra baked goodies. Plus, I get feedback from their reactions. This recipe was dubbed. “yummy”, “crunchy on the outside with a fluffy inside”, and “not too sweet, with good flavor”.
This recipe makes four small loaves if using a pampered chef mini-loaf stone dish. (see recipe notes on how to cook with other pans). I have made this recipe in the past with regular lemons and it is also good.
- Just like my muffins, I start a quick-bread at high temp, then reduce.
- I used the stoneware mini-loaf pan made by Pampered Chef, which by looking at their website, they don’t make it anymore =(
- This makes one regular sized loaf, cook for 40-45min at 350
- I have also used this recipe to make 12 muffins, cook for 12min
- A yummy lemony glaze would be really great on top and it would bring out the lemon taste a bit more.
This recipe was inspired by the recipe Poppy Love in the book, The Looneyspoon Collection, by Janet and Greta Podleski. I made quite a few adaptations to make this an original recipe, but overall I love the recipes in this funny and yummy cookbook.